Sunday, March 27, 2011

Surviving Two Under Two

I must say having two children under the age of two was quite a shock to the system. I never really appreciated just how easy having one baby was. I have always prided myself on being quite a punctual person and now I frequently find myself apologizing for running late.



Having said that, I feel like 7 weeks into having 2 babies I am really getting into the swing of things - thanks to four key ingredients. Together they make up my survival kit:

1. Espresso Machine
I can honestly say this is one of the greatest purchases we have ever made. Before Dominic was born I was quite addicted to Starbucks coffee. I was spending between $12-16 per week on coffee - easy to do when they cost $4 a drink. With one baby, running into Starbucks to pick up a coffee was fairly easy to do, but with two it was not even worth the stress and hassle. However, all new moms know that coffee is an essential component for daily function. Having my espresso machine at my fingertips, with Starbucks grounds and syrups, makes every sleep-deprived morning a happy morning. Plus we are saving a small fortune!

2. Baby Carrier
I think I have used my baby carrier more in the 7 weeks since Dominic was born than the whole time I have had Natalie. Boys - or at least my boy - seem a lot more clingy and needy than girls. Natalie seemed quite happy to sit in her swing or bouncy chair and observe while I got on with things. Dominic, on the other hand, needs to be held constantly. As long as he is close to me in his carrier he is happy. It not only allows me to get things done - like making breakfast or lunch for Natalie - but it also allows me to take Natalie out and about and have my hands free.
I have used the Bjorn, Infantino, Ergo and Belle Baby Carriers. I think it is essential to have a carrier with a strap that goes around the waist/hips and not just over the shoulders. I got terrible back ache using the Bjorn and wouldn't recommend it. I love the Belle Baby carrier. It folds up into a small bundle that easily fits into my diaper bag and Dominic can face in, toward me, or when he gets better head control he can face the world. The Ergo is good for cold climates because the baby is very snuggly in the infant insert. If you live somewhere warm I would only use the Ergo for an older child. It's extremely comfortable though and I have never had back ache with it, even carrying a 19lb-er around.

My Belle Baby carrier and the Espresso Machine

3. Good Girlfriends
There is nothing like a good support system to get you through anything. I feel like whenever I venture out into public with my girlfriends I have an extra pair or eyes and hands with me. In the absence of family I have also relied heavily on my girlfriends to watch Natalie for me whenever we have had to take Dominic for doctors appointments. But best of all if the kids go crazy and have meltdowns at the same time, I know my girlfriends and I will end up laughing about the madness. Nothing seems as hard or as bad when they are around. Much love to you Christina and Bethany!

4. Nickelodeon Jr.I always swore I would never be the type of parent who used the television to babysit my children. I also swore I would never use a pacifier. It's amazing how things change when all you want is 20 minutes of peace and quiet. Thank you Olivia, Dora and Diego for entertaining my 20 month old while I feed, change and console her newborn brother.


Also, a word of advice. If your husband is planning to take a month off work, like mine did, please encourage him not to. Men are not built like women, they can't deal with the stress and multitasking that comes with 2 under 2 and you will find yourself worrying about 3 people instead of just the 2 kids. I have found it a lot easier to get into a routine with my husband back at work. Men are not that helpful ;-) Plus instead of being permanently stressed out, he comes home from work happy, I am happy that I don't have to worry about his mental health - so all in all everyone is happier. I should probably list that as survival tip #5...make sure daddy goes back to work asap ;-)

1 comment:

  1. That first pic is sooo cute, Dominic looks just like Natalie :)
    I LOVE my Mobywrap and so does Faith, makes it sooo easy to go out and about with 2!

    ReplyDelete