Monday, September 17, 2012

Toddlers and Typhoons

What an eventful week. We got a second car, experienced our first typhoon and moved house - not to mention it was one of strongest typhoons Okinawa has seen in several years. Yep, nothing half-ass about the way we do things!

The typhoon was like no storm I have ever experienced. The wind was so strong I didn't dare go outside to take photos, but I got a few photos early on in the storm and a couple more through a window.
We're somewhere underneath that mess
Yep it traveled right over us
View from our window mid-storm. It's hard to see wind.
Crazy sea
Fun during the power outage
Stormy! 
Earlier this week, we visited a new play area for the kids. This place isn't cheap, but then again life in Japan isn't cheap. The kids LOVED it and played for almost 3 hours. It also gave us the opportunity to meet some new friends!
Who doesn't love to play with balls???
The play area wrapped around the back with a swing, slides, zip line etc. Can you spot the Lamby?
Okinawa also has great shopping opportunities for such a small island. We decided to venture out and go to some Japanese grocery stores and furniture stores. We were very pleasantly surprised. The meat and fish off-base is definitely a huge step above what can be found on base. We also visited the Ikea of Japan, a store called Nitori. It was love at first sight! I actually managed to special order some curtains despite the staff there not speaking a lick of English. Thank you iPhone translation app!
You will never go hungry on this island.
n
Who doesn't love dried squid??
Natalie loved the furniture 'just my size'
Need a school bag for your child? These are only $130 and are required if you want to attend Japanese school out here.

You just have to memorize the logo to find the store you want
Jolly Pocky Sticks, these are delicious!


Did I mention that Mister Donut kicks Dunkin' Donut's ass?
Mmmm...ice cream
She's taking this chop stick business a little too far!
             
A bit of fun while we wait for Daddy to register the new car!
Silly goose
I love this lion dog - Shisa, from Ryukuan mythology. It's everywhere in Okinawa.
Loving her new surroundings!
We moved into our new house on Sunday. It is SOOOO great not to be living out of a suitcase anymore. We still don't have our household goods but we have government loaner furniture. It works for now. While Chris has been at work I have been unpacking like a mad woman. The kids decided they would help me 'unpack' too.
Thanks for the help kiddos!
I love where we live. We have found a great shopping mall, excellent restaurants and delicious bakeries all within a few minutes drive from our house. We are finding our feet here, despite the language barrier and are really enjoying it. Once we are settled in our new house I plan to learn at least one new Japanese phrase a day, and once Chris is in an established work schedule I will sign up for some Japanese classes.
Life is good. I can't wait for my new grounds and Dilettante sauce to arrive!
 
Another fun item I found on my shopping expedition.

No comments:

Post a Comment